Poplar Healthcare is pleased to lend its support in the fight against the novel coronavirus by providing COVID-19 testing in its 118,000 square foot high complexity CLIA certified and CAP-accredited laboratory in Memphis, TN.
Poplar Healthcare is offering the SARS-CoV-2 assay on the Roche cobas 6800 System, Roche cobas z480, Hologic Panther and Thermo Fisher QuantStudio 7K.
COVID-19 testing is available to physicians and other authorized health care providers anywhere in the U.S. The test detects the presence of the underlying virus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19.
Confirmed COVID-19 infections can cause a range of illness, from little to no symptoms, to those affected being severely ill and even dying. Symptoms can include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Symptoms may appear from 2 to 14 days after exposure, based on the incubation period for other coronaviruses, such as the MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) viruses.
Who should get tested?
It’s important to reach out to your doctor immediately if you have any reason to suspect you have COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends getting tested if you:
- Experience symptoms (fever, cough, shortness of breath)
- Have been in close contact with a person with COVID-19
- Have recently traveled from an area with a widespread outbreak
Don’t wait. Early detection means you can take precautions right away to limit the spread of the illness to those around you.
The following are acceptable sample types, all preferably shipped frozen:
- Nasopharyngeal (NP) swab in Aptima, ESwab Media, MTM, UTM, VTM or Saline;
- Nasal swab in Aptima, ESwab Media, MTM, UTM, VTM or Saline;
- Oropharyngeal (OP) swab in Aptima, ESwab Media, MTM, UTM, VTM or Saline;
- OP or NP washes/aspirates in sterile cups; and
- bronchial washings or bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) specimens in sterile cups.
Sample Shipping Instructions
- Saline, VTM and UTM samples/specimens should be shipped frozen at -20° (preferred)
- Refrigerated specimens acceptable (if received for testing within 72 hours of collection)
- Room temperature VTM and UTM swabs are acceptable (if received within 48 hours of collection)
- Room temperature swabs collected in saline are acceptable (if received within 24 hours of collection)
- Room temperature swabs collected in PrimeStore MTM are acceptable (if received within 7 days of collection)