Poplar Healthcare is pleased to lend its support in the fight against the novel coronavirus by providing COVID-19 testing in its 118,000 square foot high complexity CLIA certified and CAP-accredited laboratory in Memphis, TN.
Poplar Healthcare is offering the cobas® SARS-CoV-2 Test on the cobas 6800 System which received Emergency Use Authorization from the FDA on March 13, 2020. Poplar Healthcare has also filed for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) with the FDA for COVID-19 testing on the Roche cobas z480 analyzer, providing two platforms for testing.
COVID-19 testing is available to physicians and other authorized health care providers anywhere in the U.S. The test detects the presence of the underlying virus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19 and is for use with individuals meeting CDC COVID-19 clinical criteria (e.g., clinical signs and symptoms associated with SARS-Cov-2 infection) in conjunction with CDC COVID-19 epidemiological criteria (e.g., history of residence in or travel to a geographic region with active SARS-CoV-2 transmission at the time of travel, or other epidemiologic criteria for which SARS-CoV-2 testing may be indicated.
Confirmed COVID-19 infections can cause a range of illness, from little to no symptoms, to those affected being severely ill and even dying. Symptoms can include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Symptoms may appear from 2 to 14 days after exposure, based on the incubation period for other coronaviruses, such as the MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) viruses.
Who should get tested?
It’s important to reach out to your doctor immediately if you have any reason to suspect you have COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends getting tested if you:
- Experience symptoms (fever, cough, shortness of breath)
- Have been in close contact with a person with COVID-19
- Have recently traveled from an area with a widespread outbreak
Don’t wait. Early detection means you can take precautions right away to limit the spread of the illness to those around you.
Sample Shipping Instructions
- Samples/specimens should be shipped frozen at -20°( (preferred)
- Refrigerated specimens acceptable (if received for testing within 72 hours of collection)
- Room temperature VTM and UTM swabs are acceptable (if received within 48 hours of collection)
- Room temperature swabs collected in saline are acceptable (if received within 24 hours of collection)